As a tenant of VEDA, you can sublet your suite for a period of 30 days or more.
What your lease says: The tenant may sublet the rental unit to another person with the written consent of the landlord. Tenant agrees not to sublet to another person any part of the Rented Premises without the advanced written consent of the Landlord.
Read below to understand your responsibilities & learn some great tips for a smooth subletting experience.
- Your sublet must be approved by the Landlord
- Your sublet arrangement must be for a minimum of 30 days (no AirBnB-style rentals)
We find the best place to post your available sublet is on Facebook – people seem to look there first for shorter-term rentals. You can also post on Kijiji, RentBoard, or any other local websites.
TIP: Always post photos when you advertise your suite!
No one looks at an ad without photos.
1. When you have a prospect lined up to be your sublet, have the prospect submit a Rental Application. Ask them to select SUBLET for the Rental Details section & provide your name when prompted
2. Once the Landlord has approved your sublet’s application via email, we recommend you sign an agreement with them. Feel free to use our templates that you can modify to suit your agreed-upon terms. If you make any edits, simply cross out or add and then have you & your sublet initial beside the change.
3. We recommend you secure a deposit from your sublet. In BC, a deposit can not be more than half a month’s rent. We also recommend that you arrange a monthly rent payment method. (Remember: you still pay rent as the original tenant, your sublet pays their rent to you)
4. When your sublet agreement is signed & you have received a deposit, communicate your successful sublet arrangement to VEDA by filling out this Sublet Submission Form. Any tenant who sublets their suite must update the Landlord to ensure safety & proper communication. Failure to update management could result in a fine or eviction.
5. We encourage you to do a Condition Inspection Report with your sublet so you inspect the suite together (keep the original, give a copy to your sublet). It’s also a good idea to take pictures before handing over your suite to your sublet.
Keep in mind: At the end of your tenancy, we do a move-out inspection and as our tenant, you will be expected to leave behind a clean suite. You will be responsible for any repairs or extra cleaning required.